Job Opportunity; Technical Advisor Appropriate Construction Technologies. (TAACT)
Our colleagues in Habitat for Humanity are seeking candidates for the following position, for further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Position title: Technical Advisor Appropriate Construction Technologies. (TAACT)
Location: Colombo, Sri Lanka with extensive travel to North and East Provinces
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The TAACT will be part of the technical team of the “Homes not Houses: Building Sustainable Future Together” project funded by the Delegation of the European Union to Sri Lanka and the Maldives implemented in coordination with Nadacia-Habitat for Humanity International, World Vision Lanka and Habitat for Humanity Sri Lanka. The TAACT will provide technical expertise and guidance in the production of earth based appropriate construction materials; construction of houses; community mobilization and awareness raising with the staff of the implementing agencies as well as the potential homeowners. The TAACT will provide construction related technical information to the COP in support to the overall coordination with the Delegation of the EU in Colombo.
The TAACT will report to the Chair of the Homes not Houses Project Management Committee and will work in coordination with the technical team of WVL, HFHSL and the COP of the Consortium. S/he will be responsible for bridging the technical gap in WVL in terms of production of earth base appropriate construction materials, community training and mobilization as well as providing technical advice for a high quality construction process using those materials. This position also plays a key role in supporting staff on the ground in building strong relationship with partners, government officials, donors, similar organization and other stakeholders. This role further ensures that lessons learned from this project are effectively communicated to a wide range of stakeholders.
- Provide technical support in the promotion of appropriate designs with a menu of technical options, capacity building for the potential homeowners on the implications of designs, gather feedback from the communities and support in getting the approval from local authorities.
- Liaise with external technical consultants and provide support in the organization and delivery of the technical trainings.
- Overall monitoring of construction in light of HFH International and Sri Lankan Standards including but not limited to quality assurance; and operation manuals, and logbooks with monitoring of family contributions.
- Provide technical support in the construction of houses and repairs with the Accompanied Home Owner Driven methodology of sub-granting combined with partial self-construction and technical assistance, appropriate houses (or elements), repairs or portions of existing houses, and support for incremental improvements or growth when appropriate.
- Provide technical support in the provision of construction capacity building to the families, with onsite training on construction quality (low cost construction techniques, incremental growth, DRR, appropriate and sustainable design and management in construction, identification of technical problems).
- Promotes continuous improvement practices in the implementation of the project.
- Provide technical support to housing solutions in the areas of construction, appropriate technologies water and sanitation.
- Support the development and delivery of HSS models and best practices to NO
- Work with relevant staffs to identify any implementation related technical issues/challenges and provide capacity building in these areas.
- Provides assistance – as necessary – to Market Development engagements with market based actors in pro-poor housing provision through surveying and analysis of housing needs and demands, quality of housing, potential home improvement interventions and construction supply.
Bachelor’s Degree in Construction, Architecture, Building Science or equivalent technical areas.
- Minimum 8 years of relevant work experience in project management, a plus if in housing or a related sector.
- Technical and practical knowledge in production of earth based appropriate construction materials
- Technical and practical knowledge in the construction of houses with earth based construction materials as well as other appropriate technologies.
- Extensive experience in facilitating and promoting appropriate construction materials for low income families and vulnerable communities.
- Good understanding of relevant legislation, policies and procedures in the context of Sri Lanka
- Good understanding of local economic, cultural and political environment of Sri Lanka, notably North and East Provinces.
- Effective communication and coordination skills.
- Good understanding and/or experience in microfinance and/or housing related loan services for low-income families.
- Demonstrated experience providing training and development of training materials.
- Consultancy/advisory skills.
- Monitoring and evaluation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Fluent in English, both written and oral.
– Strong preference for local languages, Tamil and Sinhala