Expert Engineers Required!
EWB Ireland are developing links with Irish NGOs to allow opportunities for Engineers to donate some of their time to communities in Ireland.
The Public Interest Law Alliance (PILA) is interested in developing a pro bono register of professionals, including engineers, who could contribute their expert professional opinions to legal cases of those who cannot afford to pay. PILA has created a pro bono register of lawyers and works with NGOs and charitable organisations to match the legal need they and their clients have with legal expertise. Often times expert opinions by way of witness testimony or court reports are required from engineers in order to establish a case.
They are particularly interested in the expertise of civil engineers. The types of cases where their expertise would be required include:
- Flooding and sewer difficulties;
- Dampness reading, including mould and mildew;
- Structural issues, including cracks in walls;
- General repairs;
- Conditions in halting sites;
- Poor finishing and workmanship in newer buildings;
- Issues with amenities such as plumbing, hot water supply and heating;
- Minimum standard for buildings where there is a disability, e.g. what gradient ramps should be for wheelchair access; and
- Compliance with various regulations.
For more information on the type of work involved please see example case studies here.
If you are interested in joining the pro bono register of engineers, or would like to learn more about it, please contact Rachel Power, PILA Co-ordinator, at 01 872 8048 or firstname.lastname@example.org.